Irresistible Inking Techniques

 I loved so many things about this class, but mostly I loved trying things I had never done before!

For the first card, I heat embossed a large flower outline in gold on ecru colored cardstock.  Then I used my inks as watercolors!  I have a glass craft mat so it was simply a matter of stamping color on it, spritzing with water and then paining in the petals.  The embossed lines act as barriers to the ink.  I used my distress inks in spiced marmalade, mustard seed, and pickled raspberry for the flower.  To add the leaves, I made a mask for the flower so it looks like the leaves are behind it.  I decided not to heat emboss the leaf outlines since the flower is the star of the show.  Leaf color is cracked pistachio with a splash of mustard seed.  Gotta love those color names!

When the painting was dry, I cut the paper to 5.25 x 4 inches.  I stamped the sentiment (which came from the same Hero Arts/AlteNew collaboration as the flower) directly on the panel.  Using the direct to paper inking technique taught in the class to edge my panel with pickled raspberry.  Finally, I mounted the panel to my card base and added some sequins for bling.




For the next card, I used two new techniques and also tried something new (for me) in the card assembly.

My acrylic block became a stamp!  I applied pickled raspberry, spritzed with water, and stamped on a panel of white cardstock.  That was my first new technique.  Then I stamped the outline of the AlteNew Painted Poppy stamp over it in black.  Again using pickled raspberry, I painted in the flower, adding more layers to concentrate the color so it stood out from the background.  Did the same for the single leaf, painting in cracked pistachio.

Pretty plain and simple so far, but I decided to try paint spattering - also new to me.  I loved the result but got a couple of splotches that were too big.  No problem…just cover with sequins!

I knew I wanted to mat this panel on black and then added a black and white grid patterned strip of washi tape on one side.   It still needed something so I added another mat of patterned paper in a pink color.  Finally all ready to pop onto my card base!







Comments

  1. Both your cards look beautiful. But I have something to share with you that might help you in the future if you want to improve your photos. Your first card looks a lot more gorgeous only because you took time to add a background behind it and kind of staged it, you know? So my eyes were drawn to it right away! Whereas in the second photo the backlight drew my attention and I noticed the beautiful flowers outside. Remember to position the card in a way that if there is a backlight then there should be a source of light on the front or at an angle too so that the card front has some light on it to become the focus of the photo. Also remember, I mentioned cropping the photo too close and your photos have no space on its sides. If you even need help or feedback on photos, please feel free to email me, I am here to help. This could really help in design team submissions or guest design spots, if you are interested :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very pretty. The orange one is my favorite, I think it looks like a fiery sunset.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Level 1 Challenge

For the Guys