Let it Shine! AlteNew Educator submissions



 If you like bling, sparkle and shine, this is the blog post for you!

For my first card, I wanted to tell someone “I love everything about you” in a big way! So I die cut the large word “everything” from gold glitter paper and matted it on a black shadow to make it pop.  I had previously heat embossed the outline of a flower from the Golden Garden stamp set in gold (what else?) and painted it with pickled raspberry ink using the technique learned in the last class. I also die cut the flower.  The rest of the sentiment was stamped on white cardstock.  Now all that was left was to assemble the card.

Knowing that a little glitter goes a long way, I added a thin strip on the right side of the card front near the fold, and added an even thinner strip of black down the middle of the glitter strip.  This resonates nicely with the black and glitter word which is the focal point of the card.  I added another strip of striped paper to the bottom to pick up the pink of the flower.  Following the rule of three, I added three pink sequins.



My next cards employed embossing powder for shine.  My lovely daughter in law, Avi, asked for some “gender neutral” modern notecards without sentiments and I just knew the Playful Patterns stencils would do the trick.  What I wasn’t sure about was how to incorporate embossing powder for shine.  For my first try, I used regular ink for two of the layers, but for the third (dots), I used clear embossing ink through the stencil.  Then I sprinkled the card with AlteNew’s antique gold embossing powder and heat set:  voila!! Shiny dots!  In a happy accident, I forgot to use the powder tool before sprinkling the powder so it did stick here and there.  I actually love the overall sparkle it leant to the card!




Emboldened by this success, I decided to heat emboss through all three stencil layers I was using plus I used a black card panel for drama!  This time I remembered the powder tool but even so there is some random sparkle that I like a lot.  I also learned that it’s possible to emboss on top of embossing!  The three layers are AlteNew antique gold, antique silver, and Recollections opaque sparkle embossing powders.






Comments

  1. Wow! Mindy these are beautiful! My favorite is the embossing on the black card, it is so elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These cards are AMAZING, Mindy!! Perfect cards for the Let it Shine class! Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erum! I really enjoyed playing with bling!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Level 1 Challenge

For the Guys

Irresistible Inking Techniques